FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How old do I have to be to hire a vehicle?
You must be 25 years or over to drive all our vehicles with the exception of our executive range of cars when you must be 30 years or over. If you are over 70 years we may need further information from you and get permission from our insurance company in order to process your hire.
2. What documents will you need to see when I hire a vehicle?
You will need to provide your full UK driving licence, either photo card or old paper style licence. If you only have the old paper style licence we will also need to see another form of photo ID. We will also need your National Insurance Number in order to complete a DVLA check on line. Also one other form of ID such as a utility bill.
3. I have a foreign licence. Can I still hire from you?
Yes. If you have a foreign licence we will need to see this licence together with your passport and another form of ID. We will need confirmation of your home address, if visiting the UK, as well as the address you are staying at in the UK. If you reside in the UK you can only use your foreign licence for 12 months before you must apply for a UK licence.
4. I have points on my licence. Can I still hire from you?
This is dependent on the date and nature of the offence(s). Please contact a member of our rental team who will be happy to advise.
5. Can I drive a 7.5T truck on my car licence?
Yes, depending on when you passed your driving test. If you passed your test prior to 01.01.1997 and have category C1 you may drive this vehicle. However, if you passed your driving test after 01.01.1997 the largest vehicle you may drive is a 3.5 Tonne.
6. Do I need an Operators’ Licence to drive a truck?
All truck rentals for business use will need an Operators’ Licence. There is no need if the hire is for personal use only.
7. Can I drive a minibus on my licence?
Yes. As long as you have a class D1 on your driving licence and you are not driving for hire or reward. DVLA also allows drivers, for occasional use to drive (private use only), providing the vehicle does not exceed 3.5 tonne.
8. Can I take the vehicle abroad?
Yes. We allow our vehicles to travel abroad with our prior consent but additional charges will apply. Please speak to a member of our rental team for further information. Please note we do not permit minibuses to travel off mainland UK.
9. How can I make a booking?
You can call us on 01189 476 500 or you can request a booking via our website portal and we will contact you to confirm your booking. You may also email us your booking on the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. When do I need to make payment?
Full payment for your hire period is taken at the point of booking. Should you wish to extend your original booking you must contact us in advance of your scheduled return time and pay the additional hire charges in advance of the extension of hire commencing.
11. What payment methods are acceptable?
We accept credit/debit cards with the exception of AMEX. We also accept BACS payments and cash for the hire but all deposit payments must be made by credit or debit card.
12. How much is the deposit?
The deposit is £200.00. This is taken from a credit or debit card at the time of collection and refunded on return of the vehicle. Please note it may take 2-3 days for the refund to show in your account.
13. How much is the insurance excess?
- Our excess is £500.00 for Category 1, 2 & 3 cars and Light, SWB and LWB Transit Vans.
- Our excess is £750.00 for executive cars, 7 and 9 seater cars.
- Our excess is £950.00 for minibuses, 3.5T Lutons and 7.5T trucks.
14. Can I take out CDW to reduce my excess?
Yes. We offer CDW as follows:
- Reduce the excess from £500.00 to £100.00 for Category 1, 2 & 3 cars and Light, SWB and LWB Transit Vans @ at cost of £7.50 per day or £40.00 per week.
- Reduce the excess from £750.00 to £300.00 for executive cars, 7 and 9 seater cars @ at cost of £10.00 per day or £55.00 per week.
- Reduce the excess from £950.00 to £500.00 minibuses, 3.5T Lutons and 7.5T trucks @ at cost of £13.00 per day or £75.00 per week.
15. Can I add another driver to my Hire Agreement?
Yes. You can add an additional driver. The additional driver will need to provide the same information/documentation as the main hirer to hire the vehicle, and meet our driver criteria. Charges will apply. Please contact a member of our rental team for further information.
16. What is included in my price?
Unless you have specified extras to us your basic quote will include VAT, insurance cover for one driver, breakdown cover within the UK and 200 miles allowance per 24 hour hire period. Additional mileage will be calculated at 0.12p per mile.
17. Can I drop my vehicle back out of hours?
Yes. There is a facility for dropping the vehicle back after office hours but please note you will remain responsible for the vehicle until it is booked in by a member of our team when our offices re-open.
18. Do you deliver and collect to my location?
Yes. We offer a delivery and collection service subject to availability within a 10 mile radius of our location. A charge of £10.00 is payable for either collection or delivery.
19. Where do I collect my vehicle from?
Please collect your vehicle from our offices located at 19 Ardler Road, Caversham, Reading, Berks, RG4 5AE. See attached Google maps link (LINK).
20. Can I leave my car at your premises?
You may not leave your vehicle at our premises but there is on road parking in the vicinity. Leaving your vehicle is entirely at your own risk.
21. Can I open an Account with Caversham Vehicle Hire Ltd?
Yes. We do offer business customers an account facility. You would need to apply for an account and receive approval prior to receiving Account Customer benefits. Please contact a member of our rental team for more information or alternatively complete an Account Customer Application Form and email to email@example.com
22. What are your Terms & Conditions?
Please find our T&Cs here.